Try This: Shaving Cream Marbling
Beauty is everywhere — even in the far reaches of space! Earlier this spring we celebrated the 30th anniversary of the Hubble Space Telescope launch. Hubble has provided us with many spectacular and mesmerizing images, including those of giant clouds of gas and dust called nebulae. We can be inspired by those amazing sights and never leave our home, or even our kitchen!
Here’s what you need:
- Shaving Cream
- Food coloring
- Toothpicks or just about any similarly shaped object
- A plate or tray
- Paper towels
- Something to scrape the shaving cream off with like a stiff plastic card or a putty knife - lots of things will work!
Here’s what to do:
1. Cover the plate with a layer of shaving cream. A bit more than an inch is plenty deep.
2. Drop dots of food coloring around atop the shaving cream. About eight drops will do it, but you can use more or less.
3. Using your toothpick or whatever you selected swirl the shaving cream around. Watch the food coloring follow your lines. Don’t mix too much though— unless you want a lot of brown.
4. Place a piece of paper on top of your swirled shaving cream. Lightly press the paper down just a little bit.
5. Lift the paper of the shaving cream and place it on some paper towels or in a place that you don’t mind getting messy.
6. Use your scraper to gently remove the shaving cream from your paper. Don’t apply too much pressure or you might rip your paper. You may want to use a paper towel to remove the last smudges of shaving cream.
7. Behold the beauty of your creation, and maybe do it again!
You can take this activity even further by scaling up and using bigger paper and a pizza pie pan. After your creations have dried, you can use them to decorate cards and mail them to your friends and family!